My mom is like my sous chef in the kitchen. She always helps me out with cooking and vice versa. She wanted to make spaghetti squash lasagna, which she used to make a lot when I still ate meat and cheese but obviously that’s not the case anymore and I wanted to enjoy some lasagna too. Soooo I came up with this recipe and then she cooked it. And it was amaaaazing. So here it is.
There are three different parts to lasagna: the pasta, the cheese and the meat. For this vegan lasagna the three parts are spaghetti squash lasagna, tofu ricotta and lentils and zucchini as a meat alternative. Here’s what you’ll need to get cooking!
1 spaghetti squash
1 cup uncooked lentils
Tomato sauce (I like to make my own and follow Kimberly Snyder’s recipe and you can find recipes just like it online but to save time you can buy some)
Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
For the tofu ricotta:
14 oz extra firm tofu
1 tbl garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp lemon juice
Olive oil as needed
Pink Himalayan sea salt to taste
*Note: if you are making a homemade tomato sauce do that first
1. Preheat oven to 375. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop the seeds out. Drizzle with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook upside down on parchment paper with a little water for 20-30 minutes or until soft.
2. Cook lentils according to the instructions on the package.
3. Blend all the tofu ricotta ingredients together except the olive oil. Add olive oil to get desired consistency.
4. Cut zucchini into small pieces.
5. When the spaghetti squash is cooked use a fork to scrape the middle out. (Keep oven heated to 375) It will come out in thin noodle like pieces like spaghetti (hence the name).
6. Begin layering your lasagna. Start with a layer of lentils and tomato sauce. Then added some spaghetti squash, then ricotta and a small amount of the Daiya mozzarella, then zucchini. Repeat leaving some extra sauce and daiya cheese to top it off.
7. Cook lasagna for about 25 minutes.
*Note: We didn’t think of this until after but it would be amazing with some spinach added in!